International Office

Travel Abroad

The University of Michigan Overseas Opportunities Office maintains the Travel Abroad: The University of Michigan Travel Abroad Web Site Directory. This site provides useful information such as how to obtain a U.S. passport, how to apply for visas, travel information and much more. In addition, numerous links to more useful sites are presented. Please note that this site will take you to the University of Michigan Ann Arbor web site. The University of Michigan-Dearborn Office of International Affairs is also available to assist faculty and staff who plan to travel abroad.

September 1, 2011update:

Faculty and staff who travel for university-related business now are automatically covered by a health insurance plan provided by U-M Dearborn at no cost to the individual or department. The change took effect Sept. 1.

The plan also covers accompanying spouses, domestic partners and dependents. To qualify, faculty and staff should register their travel in the U-M Travel Registry and also sign-in with the HTH business plan.

In order to provide this coverage, U-M Dearborn has contracted since 2008 with HTH Worldwide, a leader in international health insurance.

The new plan now consists of three polices for specific populations and types of travel, as well as blanket coverage for Political Security and Natural Disaster for all current members of the university community.

For personal or leisure travel, faculty, staff (and their spouses, domestic partners and dependents) and students will have access to a plan for $1.25 per day, plus a $5 administrative fee.

This new travel-abroad insurance plan follows U-M Provost Phil Hanlon's June 15 announcement of a new policy for university-related travel abroad. It requires all students, staff and faculty who travel abroad for university-related purposes to have the U-M Dearborn Travel Abroad Health Insurance, and to register their travel in the U-M Travel Registry.

All students, faculty and staff from the Ann Arbor, Dearborn and Flint campuses are required to secure U-M Dearborn Travel Abroad Health Insurance whenever they travel for university-related study, research, business, internships, work or volunteer activities outside the U.S. Students, faculty and staff also are encouraged to register personal travel abroad, to ensure the university can contact them in case of an emergency.

All travelers can purchase or enroll for coverage through the U-M Travel Registry.

Students, faculty and staff who registered their travel in the Travel Registry can use a Trip Summary mobile site on their mobile devices.