Henry Ford Estate gets new sheltered information kiosk thanks to $10,000 grant from MotorCities National Heritage Area and contributions from supporters.

December 5, 2008

A ribbon-cutting was held earlier this month to celebrate the new kiosk at the Henry Ford Estate. Guests included Joe Hines of Project Arts and Ideas, who designed the welcome and interpretive panels; Gary Familian, managing director of MotorCities National Heritage Area; Lincoln A. Poley Architects; Lamarand Design and Construction; and Trio Lumber.

DEARBORN / Dec. 5, 2008---A new sheltered information kiosk at the Henry Ford Estate will inform visitors about the Fords’ lives, the landscape and opportunities for tours and special events at the Estate as well as other historic attractions in Dearborn.

“Many visitors are here for events at the Estate and others never enter the buildings but enjoy the grounds,” according to Karen Marzonie, landscape and grounds manager at the Estate. “The kiosk helps orient them and provides interpretive information as well as directions to other nearby cultural attractions.”

The purchase and installation of the kiosk was made possible by a $10,000 grant from the MotorCities National Heritage Area, an affiliate of the National Park Service that is dedicated to preserving, interpreting and promoting the automotive and labor heritage of the state of Michigan. The Estate matched the grant with contributions from donors as well as staff and volunteer labor.

The 12-feet-by-16-feet size of the kiosk, located near the edge of the parking lot between the two pathways leading to the Estate entrances, allows it to be more visible to visitors from various vantage points in the lot, according to Marzonie.

A ribbon-cutting was held last month to celebrate the new kiosk. Guests included Joe Hines of Project Arts and Ideas, who designed the welcome and interpretive panels; Gary Familian, managing director of MotorCities National Heritage Area; Lincoln A. Poley Architects; Lamarand Design and Construction; and Trio Lumber.

The Henry Ford Estate, a national historic landmark on the campus of the University of Michigan-Dearborn, was the home of the automotive pioneer and his wife, Clara, from when it was built in 1915 until their deaths more than 30 years later.

 

####

 

 

 

 
CONTACT: Jennifer Thelen
PHONE: 313-593-5644
The Office of University Relations
Room 1040, Administration Building
University of Michigan-Dearborn