Welcome to the University of Michigan-Dearborn! We are anticipating your arrival on campus to continue your journey of knowledge with us.
Orientation is designed to help you succeed academically, adjust to collegiate life, and meet new friends and peers along the way. UM-Dearborn has great expectations of you and likewise, you should have great expectations of the University staff and faculty to speed you on your way to earning the degree that makes the difference.
We are all looking forward to meeting you and supporting you through your years here with the University of Michigan-Dearborn.
Welcome to the Michigan family and GO BLUE!
Assistant Director for Orientation Programs
- Learn about academics at the University
- Learn about the University’s expectations
- Find out how to get involved on campus
- Learn about the facilities and resources available to you
- Meet other incoming students as well as current students who can give you a glimpse into campus life
- Select and register for classes for the upcoming semester
- Be reassured that the University of Michigan-Dearborn is the right place for you to continue your education
Four Phases of Orientation
- Placement Exam(s)
- Freshman Orientation Session
- W.O.W Outdoor Program
- Student Success Workshop/Convocation
2013 Freshman Orientation Dates and Times
Each day begins with a 8:30 am registration located in the Institute for Advanced Vehicle Systems. Orientation begins at 9:00 am and ends at 4:30 pm. You must be present for the entire session in order to register for classes. Attending an early orientation session gives you more options for class choices.
- Thursday, May 23
- Thursday, May 30
- Tuesday, June 4
- Thursday, June 6 (for CASL students only)*
- Tuesday, June 11
- Thursday, June 13
- Thursday, June 20
- Tuesday, June 25 (for CASL students only)*
- Tuesday, July 9
- Wednesday, July 17
- Thursday, July 25
* College of Arts, Sciences and Letters (CASL) only, including Secondary Education
After reviewing all of the information, register for your orientation session and placement exams by completing and returning the Reservation Form (pdf).
Prior to Attending Freshman Orientation, be sure to:
- Read the website information and share it with your family
- Select the best date/time to take your English Composition and Mathematics Placement exams
- Determine your first and second choices for your orientation session
- Complete the Freshman Placement Exam and Orientation Reservation Form
- Receive your placement exam and orientation session confirmations by mail
- Take your placement exams
If you've done all of these items, you are well on your way to a successful start at the University of Michigan-Dearborn!