Students and Alumni - FAQ
1. What advice would you give a person who is clueless about their major or their career path?
Take advantage of the following Career Services resources:
- Set-up an appointment with a career counselor by calling (313) 593-5020
- Review a list of majors and the careers linked to them
- Sign-up for the free, FOCUS online assessment program
- For more comprehensive assessment inventories, contact Counseling and Support Services, (313) 593-5430
- Register for the Career Services career planning class, Exploratory Studies 102
- In addition, Career Services workshops, job fairs, and preparation programs are all excellent avenues for exploring career interests and options.
2. I need a job! Where can I find one?
Our career database, found on the Find a Job section of this website allows students and alumni to view part-time, full-time, and on-campus employment opportunities. Students can upload their resume online, where it can then be sent to interested employers. Also, students can participate in on-campus recruiting and interviewing.
3. What kinds of positions do you place students or alumni in?
Our students find employment in a wide array of settings. Our role as a Career Services office is to provide students with the information and networks they need to become competent in conducting their job search. We provide campus recruiting opportunities, employer information sessions, Career Hour on Assorted Topics on various majors, as well as workshops focused on resume preparation, interviewing, negotiating, and how to handle changes in the job market.
4. How could I market my liberal arts degree?
A liberal arts education provides a student with a vast knowledge base and a wide range of transferable skills. They become adept communicators, analyzers, and critical thinkers, who have the flexibility and adaptability to fit into a wide range of fields.
Take advantage of Career Services' Resume Critiques. Simply drop off or email your resume to the Career Services Office for free assistance on creating the perfect resume. Also check out Career Guides for more information.
5. What are typical starting salaries?
Salaries vary according to the economy, employer hiring needs, and the candidate’s credentials, experience, and skill set. To view typical starting salaries for select majors, visit Salary.com
6. As an alumni of the university, what services are available to me?
As part of the UM-Dearborn family, every service available to students is also available to alumni as well. Alumni may attend all career events, workshops, and career fairs sponsored by our office.