Fire Safety Information
All employees, especially those in certain occupations, should learn to use a fire extinguisher (laboratory, facilities management). Call the OSEH Office at extension 3-4914 to set up fire extinguisher training.
IF YOU DISCOVER FIRE:
1. Manually activate the fire alarm system.
2. Call 9-1-1.
Immediately exit the building, closing doors behind you (DO NOT USE ELEVATORS).
ONCE FIRE ALARM IS ACTIVATED:
1. WALK to the nearest exit (DO NOT USE ELEVATORS).
2. Assist persons with special needs.
3. Notify Public Safety and fire personnel if you suspect someone is trapped inside the building.
4. Gather outside at a designated assembly area, and do not attempt to re-enter the building until instructed to do so by Public Safety.
IF TRAPPED IN A ROOM:
1. Wet and place cloth material around and under the door to prevent smoke from entering the room.
2. Close as many doors as possible between you and the fire.
3. Be prepared to signal someone outside, but DO NOT BREAK GLASS until absolutely necessary (outside smoke may be drawn into the room).
IF CAUGHT IN SMOKE:
1. Drop to hands and knees and crawl toward the exit.
2. Stay low, as smoke will rise to ceiling level.
3. Breathe shallowly through nose and use a filter such as a shirt or towel.
IF FORCED TO ADVANCE THROUGH FLAMES (which should be a last resort):
1. Hold your breath.
2. Move quickly.
3. Cover your head and hair with a blanket or large coat.
4. Keep your head down and your eyes closed as much as possible.
USING A FIRE EXTINGUISHER:
If you have been trained and it is safe to do so, you may fight small fires with a fire extinguisher.
FIRE EXTINGUISHER INSTRUCTIONS:
PULL SAFETY PIN FROM THE HANDLE.
AIM AT THE BASE OF THE FIRE.
SQUEEZE THE TRIGGER HANDLE.
SWEEP FROM SIDE TO SIDE AT THE BASE.