Yellow Ribbon Program
The Yellow Ribbon GI Education Enhancement Program (Yellow Ribbon Program) is a provision of the Post 9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008. With implementation of the new GI Bill changes that become effective with the Fall 2011 term, non-resident students, both undergraduate and graduate, receiving 100% Chapter 33 benefit eligibility will have their resident tuition and fees paid in full by VA.
For the 2011-2012 academic year (September 2011-August 2012), UM-Dearborn will provide up to $1000 in Yellow Ribbon Program contributions on a first come, first served basis to a maximum of fifteen (15) non-resident undergraduate and graduate students.
For the 2012-2013 academic year (September 2012-August 2013), UM-Dearborn will provide up to $2000 in Yellow Ribbon Program contributions on a first come, first served basis to a maximum of fifteen (15) non-resident undergraduate and graduate students.
To be eligible for the Yellow Ribbon program, a student:
- Must be classified by the university as a non-resident undergraduate or graduate student
- Must have 100% Post 9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33) benefit eligibility. (Included are dependents with Transfer of Entitlement under Chapter 33.)
- Must have a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) on file in Enrollment Services/Registration and Records verifying 100% eligibility or your COE may be attached with your submitted Yellow Ribbon Application.
Note: If you are a continuing student who received benefits in the previous academic year and remain eligible under current guidelines, your Yellow Ribbon benefits will continue.
Students meeting University of Michigan-Dearborn Yellow Ribbon Program eligibility must submit a completed Yellow Ribbon Application. In addition, your Certificate of Eligibility (COE) must be attached to your application or on file in the Office of Enrollment Services/Registration and Records in order to be considered.
Acceptance to the Yellow Ribbon Program is on a first come, first served basis as determined by the date and time your completed Yellow Ribbon Application is received. Please be advised that UM-Dearborn is only able to accept the first fifteen (15) eligible applicants. Yellow Ribbon Applications will be accepted until the maximum number of individuals for whom contributions will be made in any given academic year has been reached.
Your Veteran Affairs Certification Request Form will need to be in our office before processing of your certification with Yellow Ribbon contributions can begin.
The Veteran Affairs Certification Request Form and the Yellow Ribbon Application may be submitted to Enrollment Services/Registration and Records using any of the following methods:
- Scan completed form and email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fax to 313-593-5697
- Hand carried to Enrollment Services/Registration and Records (1169 UC)
- Mail via U.S. Postal Service to Enrollment Services/Registration and Records at address below
How is this benefit applied to my student account?
The University of Michigan-Dearborn portion of your Yellow Ribbon award will be credited to your account once you:
- meet all eligibility requirements
- have been notified by Enrollment Services/Registration and Records that you are one of the first 15 students eligible to receive Yellow Ribbon contributions.
The VA match of your Yellow Ribbon award will issue payment directly to the University on your behalf after your enrollment certification is processed by the VA.
Will my Yellow Ribbon Award be renewed?
Once accepted and used, UM-Dearborn will offer you a Yellow Ribbon Program benefit as long as the following apply:
- UM-Dearborn continues to participate in the Yellow Ribbon Program*
- You maintain continuous enrollment at UM-Dearborn
- You maintain good academic and conduct standing as defined by the University and your UM-Dearborn school or college
- You have remaining entitlement as defined by the VA
*UM-Dearbornís participation in the Yellow Ribbon program is voluntary. Although we are committed to supporting our veterans, UM-Dearborn may require a change to this agreement in future years.
For additional information, visit the Department of Veteran Affairs Yellow Ribbon Program website.