Future Students

Academic Requirements

This section concerns grade-point average (GPA) and course/curriculum requirements. ALL FIRST-YEAR APPLICANTS must take either the SAT I or the ACT, AND a language proficiency test.

Freshman Academic Requirements

Freshmen who have attended secondary school abroad are expected to meet the same general admissions requirements as U.S. students.

  1. You must have completed a U.S. high school diploma, or the equivalent secondary school completion credential in your country, by the time you would enroll at UM-Dearborn. Freshmen usually apply during their last year of secondary school. Any offer of admission is conditional upon successful completion of the secondary school program before enrollment at UM-Dearborn.
  2. You must have pursued a general academic (non-vocational) program of study. Solid preparation in the traditional academic college-preparatory subjects is required (English, math, science, social studies).
  3. You must have maintained above-average grades throughout your secondary school studies. Admission is competitive, and to be a strong candidate for admission, grades received should be equivalent to an overall GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 U.S. scale. If you complete your secondary schooling abroad, please contact the Office of Admissions and Orientation for information on the credential and level of performance which would be acceptable for admission.

Transfer Academic Requirements

The Office of Admissions and Orientation will evaluate transcripts from all institutions attended as well as ECE evaluations for foreign schools. Transfer students must have completed 24 transferable credits. If you are applying with fewer than 24 credits, complete high school records will be required.

General academic requirements for each unit are listed below. You should contact the Office of Admissions and Orientation as early as possible in your academic career to be certain that you are completing courses that will not only transfer, but also count toward specific admission and/or graduation requirements at UM-D. All GPA requirements are given using the 4.0 U.S. scale.

All transfer applications are reviewed on an individual basis, and if you do not meet the stated requirements for your desired unit, it is suggested that you discuss your situation with an admissions counselor.

  • College of Arts, Sciences, and Letters
    Required GPA: 2.50
  • College of Education, Health, and Human Services
    Required GPA: 2.75
  • College of Engineering and Computer Science
    Required GPA: 2.75
    Other requirements: Specific math and science GPAs will be recomputed; 2.75 is required for each.
  • College of Business
    Required GPA (pre-business): 2.70
    Required GPA (B.B.A.): 2.70

To enter the College of Business B.B.A. degree programs, you must have achieved junior standing (at least 55 transferable credits). You should complete general distribution requirements before enrollment. These requirements are listed in the UM-Dearborn catalog, or can be obtained by contacting the Office of Admissions and Orientation.

Eight specific courses, equivalent to the respective UM-Dearborn courses, must also have been completed: English Composition I and II; microeconomics and macroeconomics; Accounting I and II; calculus (business or general); and Introduction to Business. You may apply while still enrolled in these courses, provided you will complete them before entering the degree program.

Students must achieve a 2.70 GPA in the eight specific courses listed above, as well as a 2.70 overall GPA. A 2.70 GPA is required if you wish to join the internship certificate program. Students who have not met these requirements may enter as pre-business students.

If you do not meet the GPA requirements for the College of Education, Health, and Human Services or the College of Engineering and Computer Science, but you do meet the requirement for the College of Arts, Sciences, and Letters, you may enter CASL, and then apply to join your desired program after you have completed additional courses and raised your GPA to the required level. Students should also be aware that there are limits to the number of transfer credits each unit will accept, and should contact the Office of Admissions and Orientation for more information.