Questions to Ask a Mentor
1. What are the criteria for evaluating teaching for merit review and promotion and tenure consideration?
2. Where can I get feedback on and guidance with teaching?
3. What are the criteria for evaluating research for merit review and promotion and tenure consideration?
4. What resources, monetary and non-monetary, are available to assist with research?
5. Where do I get feedback on my research?
6. What faculty development seminars and workshops are offered to UM-Dearborn faculty?
7. How much service is expected and what committees would you recommend?
8. Can I say “no” when asked to serve on a committee, and if I can, how do I do so gracefully?
9. How and when do I begin to accumulate materials for my tenure/promotion portfolios?
10. How does the University handle cheating and plagiarism? What are the policies and procedures related to student academic dishonesty?
11. What social activities offered by the discipline, department, college and university would help me meet faculty members with similar research or teaching interests?
12. What’s the structure of faculty governance on this campus?