Required Documents

When you go to the consulate you will need to bring with you the following items:

  • Passport - Your passport must be valid for travel to the United States and with a validity date of at least six months after your proposed date of entry into the U.S.
  • Non-immigrant visa application form DS-156.
    Form DS-157, if applicable.
    Form DS-158
    You can pick up these forms from the U.S. consulate or print them from the State Department's website.
  • Required visa fee. Note this fee may vary by country. Please also note that an additional fee for SEVIS will be effective for forms dated after September 1, 2004.
  • Photographs.
  • Your Certificate of Eligibility (Form I-20 or DS-2019).
  • A copy of your letter of admission to the University of Michigan-Dearborn. Please also bring the original with you in case they need to see the original.
  • Proof of financial documentation, which demonstrates your ability to meet the total cost of education. Please be sure that you bring originals of all documents.
  • Evidence of academic credentials, which qualify you for admission as well as evidence of knowledge of English which, is sufficient for academic study in the U.S.
  • Evidence of sufficient ties to your home country and/or evidence which demonstrates your intent to depart the U.S. after you complete your studies.

The procedures for obtaining a visa vary greatly around the world. Therefore, we encourage you to check with your nearest consulate on their required procedures to plan your application process accordingly. In some countries you must apply for your visa in person, and an appointment may be required. If this happens you may also be required to have an interview with an U.S. consular officer. While in some other countries, you can only apply by mail or you will apply in person and you will only nee to submit your passport and supporting documents to a clerk, who will return them to you once your visa application is decided upon.