Special Note for Canadian Citizens

Canadian Citizens are not required to obtain an U.S. visa to enter the United States. However, an U.S. Immigration officer will inspect your papers, either at a pre-inspection site in Canada or upon entry to the U.S. You must have with you proof of Canadian citizenship, your admission letter to the University of Michigan-Dearborn, your Certification of Eligibility (I-20 or DS-2019), and proof of financial support that corresponds to the information on your I-20 or DS-2019. It is essential that you enter the U.S. with all the required documentation to ensure that you will be admitted under the appropriate status.

If you are not enrolling at the University of Michigan-Dearborn

If you obtained your visa on the I-20 or DS-2019 issued by the University of Michigan-Dearborn, and you enter the U.S., you must report to the University of Michigan-Dearborn. To remain in status, the university requires that you stay at the university for at least one term before you can transfer to another school. If you decide not to attend the University of Michigan-Dearborn, please return the Certificate of Eligibility (I-20 or DS-2019) to the International Office.